Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 3 - What I ate

I started off my day like a pro--boot camp for an hour, so tired I didn't run, just walked. But I sweat up a storm and moved for an hour. It's ok.

Next pro-status move? Came home and NAPPED. I blew off yoga because I was tired. I wanted to feel guilty about that and I tried to beat myself up for it, but instead I said to myself, "you must need sleep or you would have gone." And know what? That's true!

Here's what I ate:

B
2 cups warm water with juice of one lemon
1 cup 1% milk
2 c Cheerios
1 cup raspberries mixed with blue and straw berries

am snack
3 lite rye wasa
1 tub egg white salad

lunch

5 oz chunk light tuna in water mixed with
1.5 T lite mayo
1/4 onion
1/2 apple
1 heaping T Bubbies (no sugar, no vinegar) dill pickle relish
and I ate this with 3 cups lettuce and 1 lite rye wasa

I FOUGHT my inner demon in order to eat this meal. I was feeling very, very sick of lettuce!

pm snack
1 med nectarine

Dinner - at a friend's house so choices were minimal

1 cup cranberry juice
a few watermelon balls & some blueberries
1 slice quiche (egg, cheese, tomato, squash, onion, pastry...so delicious)
about 3/4 c fresh spinach
2" square brownie (divine and worth it)

Overall it was a great food day and a great exercise day.

Besides the who-needs-so-much-lettuce-at-every-meal demon, I also fought the is-that-what-I-really-look-like-? demon. I read a book called Mega Yoga designed for large women to show them how to move their girth into the poses...and it is filled with photos of a pretty but huge woman. I spend my exercise dollars working out with thin people, and so, while I know I'm exceedingly heavy, I don't see myself as clearly as I do the trim group around me. I honestly had no idea I looked so bad. And when I see my whole self in a mirror--which isn't often for some reason--I take it in but walk away. This was an ugly realization. I'm not quite sure how these feelings are playing out so I will have to write about that...but the bottom line is that I felt really unhappy looking at photos of this heavy woman. On some level I thought she was pretty because she had good hair, skin and smile, but looking at her body was unpleasant on a gut level. I even asked Todd if this is what I looked like (promising he would not be in any trouble no matter what he said) and he diplomatically shrugged his shoulders and said, "yah, kinda."

It's a journey.

2 comments:

HelenA said...

Quick comment about your tiredness... I've been fighting the tired demon myself this week, even though I'm no where close to exercising like you. (Boot camp? No siree bob.) I had a major shut down yesterday morning/early afternoon after 3 days of working out and counting calories, but a lifesaver came in the mail. I ordered the FRS Healthy Energy supplements free trial (see online at www.frs.com), and it arrived yesterday. I immediately took 2 energy chews and could not believe the difference. After lying around all morning, I had enough energy to FINALLY get going -- finish a TON of household chores and take my kids to the park. No jittery feelings, but finally having enough energy to get through my daily routines. It kicked in within 30 minutes. Now, as much as I hate to get my body dependent on some substance just to get through the day, I really needed it this week to stay focused on the challenge and to begin my school work. I'm exercising and dieting to increase my energy, but it's obviously not going to happen overnight, and some days my body just needs an extra boost. I usually turn to Diet Coke but have noticed too many bad side effects. I haven't noticed any bad side effects with FRS, but of course, it's only been 2 days. Right now, I'm a believer in FRS and am grateful for something that will help me stay on track. Try the free trial!

KA Morefield said...

I use a supplement too--it's called Diet & Energy by New Chapter. It has lots of 3rd party research and it's completely herbal (it smells like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves). I notice that it takes a little more than 30 mins to get in my system, but it really helps with the energy. I will check out FRS fo sho. I think as long as they are healthy and taken in moderation/as directed, then there's no problem. I'm glad you shared this! Let's both keep an eye on side-effects and WOW good for you for opting out of Diet Coke.

xoxo