Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 2 - part deux (Accountability)

Here's what I ate today. I'm writing this so that I will know where to look for good food ideas on the days when peanut butter, chocolate chips & honey sandwiches are the only meal I can imagine. Perhaps it will give you some ideas too?

Breakfast: I went to Taco Deli in La Canada (because the one in La Crescenta has terribly inconsistent and unpredictable hours) and I ordered the "Adrian Special" without potatoes. Basically it's a whole wheat tortilla with 3 scrambled egg whites, mild salsa and 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh pico de gallo (the best I've ever had). They roll it all up and it fits my food needs which are 2 carbs (100 cals/carb so 200 for breakfast), 1 protein or dairy and vegetables in any quantity. It's the best breakfast because someone else makes it for me, and it was perfect right before yoga.

Speaking of yoga...as I'm finishing up my breakfast burrito in my car parked outside Descanso Gardens (where the yoga class meets), most of the liquid from the pico dribbled all over the front of my shirt. How do you say Zen? Pretty impressive, I know.

Lunch was late because I made a Costco run. I bought fewer than 10 items and spent more than $140. It's the least I've spent at Costco in ages. Brandon was a sport and went with me, which was a terrific help! Then he dropped me off at Trader Joe's for my egg white salad and some strawberries while he went to Everest to buy my lunch. I don't normally eat out this much, but thankfully Michelle has given me great advice for when I do have to eat on the run.

At Everest order the grilled chicken salad with no croutons. Unfortunately all of the vegetables are minimally prepared for my consumption so I have to take the salad home and chop the vegetables...(the tomato is cut into quarters, the egg is cut in half, the cucumber slices are like surfboards and the onions are so thick it's really silly) So, while I was cutting vegetables I had an am snack of 1/2 container egg white salad (50 cals) and 2 lite wasa (60 cals)

Lunch: 1 large tomato, 3 cups lettuce, 1/3 small cucumber, 2 large rings onion, 3 large rings bell pepper, 5 oz. grilled chicken, 1 hard boiled egg, and 1/3 cup of the most delicious balsamic viniagrette ever made...and it looks really low fat because it is so emulsified. Anyway, I don't normally eat salad dressing, but Jill sais I can substitue it for a fruit twice a day if needed. My lunch needs are 5 oz protein, 1 carb (100 cals), 3 cups raw vegetables. I used 1/2 of my lunch carb for the snack.

I ran a few errands and wasted time on facebook this afternoon. I really wanted a nap, but I slept poorly again last night so I delayed my gratification.

While I was preparing dinner I had the rest of my egg white salad and 1 more wasa cracker, so about 80 cals.

For dinner I had a green salad with grape tomatoes, 2 celery, 2 cups lettuce, 1 carrot, 1/4 avocado, lime juice, 1/2 sm cucumber. Then I made a goulash kind of spaghetti sauce: 1/2 cup bowtie pasta and I cooked ground turkey with 1/2 onion, added a can of cut tomatoes and a bit of Trader Joe's marinara (50 cals / one half cup). Then I added 2 cups of chopped green and yellow beans. It was so yummy and I was too full to even eat the nectarine I planned.

AND--last night I ate a frozen mango and cream bar (Trader Joe's again) which was 60 calories. I forgot to report it! I really like those bars because they are so low cal and so tasty, but when I went to buy another box today they were recalled. Recalled is such an ugly word!

B and I are going to watch Golden Compass... goodnight!

1 comment:

mtaylor said...

Nice start to getting back into blogging. You inspire me with your honesty and hard work. Thanks, Michelle