Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Between Palindrome & Dyslexia

What's it called when a word like dog can be read backwards and have a different meaning?

I am furious with my dog.

I mentioned that I was so tired yesterday but resisted a nap. Finally when my head hit the pillow around 9:45 I was ready for sleep. I got comfortable, perfectly comfortable, and I drifted off. Forty-five minutes later the dog (who sleeps in our room), heard something and lost her mind. She got up and started doing that cartoon move where you run in place for a few minutes to build up speed and then jet off...well, with her nails on the hardwood that's exactly what it sounded like. She bolted out the door only to find the hall door had been closed against the noise of Brandon's zombie killing video game. That meant the dog started whining and clawing and omg, she's going to have to go see what made the noise! This leaves me. I am awake now and I get up to let her out. And I can't fall asleep.

I roll over. Roll over again. Where did I put my sleep nirvana? I just had it. I don't know how long I lay there cursing the dog. I eventually drifted off into a light sleep but I woke up angry and with more curse words for the dog. I have a full life dontcha know?! I gotta go to boot camp at 530 and weigh in at 630 and yoga at 9 and, and, and. I NEED sleep!

On Monday (after not sleeping) I noticed during boot camp that my mind was wandering to the "imperfect" form of people around me doing their exercises. A few years ago I noticed that whenever I focus unkind thoughts on people around me it means I am harboring unkind thoughts about myself. So I turned it around...Kristen, you are doing a great job. I see how you have improved. Look how much stronger you are. Congratulations on your weight loss. Look how many more things you can do now! It feels good to talk to myself kindly. Well, it feels strange and uncomfortable, but it also calmed me down...like talking to a small child who feels afraid...you just naturally put your arms around them and talk softly. You're doing a good job, it's going to be okay.

And so, if I'm mad at my dog, does that mean I'm mad at my doG?




P.S., I'm in the 260's for the first time in 5 years...269 & 3/4 lbs. It counts as 260's!

No comments: