Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Parrots

This morning I was a zombie when the alarm went off at 5:04. Zombie, as in, living dead. I woke up, I fumbled in the dark for the workout clothes (set out the night before), I made it to the bathroom, and somehow I drove myself to boot camp where Adrian tried to kill me with the "run 40 steps and do 20 push-ups," then round 2, "run 40 steps and do 40 rows with your weights." Followed by 10 iterations of running and using my arm muscles in some way. I told friends I felt like I was running through jello...emphasis on the preposition, because sometimes I feel like I am running with jello affixed to my lower abdomen and upper arms. What is it about being 44? My sight is also starting to peter out/aggravate me...but that's a topic for a different day.

On the near-comatose drive to boot camp I thought, "I will take the day off of work today." Then I remembered that at least 3 of my fellow campers are moms at my school. What if word gets out that I'm able to exercise, but not go to work?

After boot camp I came home and debated getting back into bed. Decided I'd make that decision after taking a shower. Decided to wash my hair...I should have known then that I would be going to work. I dragged myself to the closet, found some clean clothes, and dressed. I even wore a necklace. It seems I was destined to go to work, even with some congestion *cough cough*

So here I am, and I even taught Excel today!

As I drove to work this morning, and dragged my carcass out of the car, I heard the parrots. I love these birds! Last year there were about 9 of them and their bodies were about 6 inches not including wings or tails. This year there are 7 of them and they grew 2 inches! Their heads are red, their wings are bright green until they fly and then there is a brilliant patch of red. They positively glow in the sun with their near neon green and red. And I thought, wow. This is the reward for bringing myself to work. For doing all the things--the good things that are becoming good habits--that I whined about not wanting to do yesterday, I am rewarded with a rare glimpse of these gorgeous birds who live in a colony and love each other, talk to each other and look out for each other.

I have a colony too.

No comments: