Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Attrition

All that is human must retrograde, if it do not advance. -Edward Gibbon

So how do I get myself to advance? How do I foster growth instead of attrition and loss? How do I keep the forward momentum instead of backsliding?

The meditation I read this morning suggests that, "Growth begins with acceptance of myself as I am." This feels like a powerful statement to me. It demands honesty. Yesterday a friend was describing her self-talk as she stepped on the scale. She used the phrase, "who am I kidding?" when she was wanting to eat an unhealthy/unplanned treat. That's such a terrific question: Who am I kidding? And yet, it's one thing to be brave enough to ask the question and another beast entirely to ready myself to answer it.

Today I am able to see a lot of the ugly parts of myself--I can list them, but will spare you. Fortunately, today I am also able to see a way out of "the uglies." I can see how helpful it is to say to myself, yes, Kristen, you are afraid and worried, but you can ask God to change that fear into faith. I say, yes, Kristen, you owe money, but you have a plan and you are working it, and your debt is evaporating. Today I said, yes, Kristen, you have a lot of weight to lose, but you are up and exercising and working and changing, and you are seeing the results of your work--4 dress sizes down in a year is so great. And guess what, Kristen, it doesn't matter how long this takes you, it just matters that you're honest and that you face it.

Bring it on!

No comments: