Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Helen's Entry

My sister-in-law Helen says I can post this. It's just too good not to. I LOVE that she is observing her victories. The act of observation has SO MUCH POWER! Focusing on VICTORIES has SO MUCH POSITIVE POWER!

Slow and steady changes tend to be more permanent. They will always win over short-term quick fixes!

from Helen to Kristen in an email:


Hey,

I thought an update from me was WAY overdue. So here you have it. (Are we seriously at the halfway point of your health challenge??)

Last week, I lost 0.2 pounds. I honestly laughed when I typed that last sentence, so feel free to laugh too.

My 3 week total loss has been 2.0 pounds. WEAK! I started week 4 all gung-ho and then made major eating faux pas, so I don't think this week can redeem me.

Things I'm learning:
1 -- I eat way too much take out, all for the sake of convenience. I need to PLAN better and MANAGE my time better, and then take out won't seem like the only option.
2 -- I'm stressing way too much, and I gotta find a way to let it go. Things that stress me: Xxxxx and Yyyyyy (her new pep talk to Jacob this week: "We are all going to be resurrected VERY soon and this will all be a distant memory." Really, Yyyyyyy? Really?), school (I'm finding ZERO time to do my independent study classes), Gordon's school (I'm finding ZERO time to do his daily reading), and Jacob (sore back and sucky job). I need to let the things Xxxxx and Yyyyyy say go in one ear and out the other. I need to, once again, PLAN better and MANAGE my time better to get in my schoolwork and Gordon's reading. I'm a pretty good support for Jacob, but I need to recognize that God is well aware of our current needs and hearts' desires and I need to trust this path we're on.
3 -- I'm also stressing about my lack of weight loss. I'm tracking my weekly changes, and I try to switch things up to make a difference. I feel like I'm playing detective each week -- trying to figure out what will truly bring dramatic results -- but I keep failing, mainly due to the above problems. That's fine. Live and learn. Don't stress about what happened these last 4 weeks and keep moving forward, right? Small changes are still changes.

It would be SO much easier if I could separate life from diet and exercise. Unfortunately, life sometimes controls my diet and exercise habits. Or....I LET life control my diet and exercise habits.

VICTORIES:
I've lost 2 pounds.
Yoga has become so much easier these past 2 weeks, and I can see major changes in my muscle definition. My downward dog KICKS BUTT, and I could barely do one 2 weeks ago.
I am eating more protein and vegetables.
I have kicked my soda addiction.

I'll let you know how my official weigh in goes on Monday morning. I've also ordered a new body fat tester, so I can better track fat percentages once it comes next week.

Half way doesn't mean over! I still have 4 weeks to meet my goals.

---------

I am pleased to report that Helen's weigh in had a 2.8 lb. plummet! She is halfway to her goal at the halfway point of the challenge!

I think there are far bigger accomplishments going on here than just plain old weight loss. She (you) is getting in touch with her strengths, weaknesses and limitations. Having identified the need to plan better she can position herself to be a bit more organized tomorrow. Maybe she'll cut up vegetables tonight for her lunch salad tomorrow. Maybe she'll set the timer to read with Gordon for 10 minutes during breakfast. Whatever she decides to do, she would not be able to make a change at all if she hadn't identified what's impeding the success she wants. Not to mention her powerful downward dog. I've asked for video and will post it asap.

Do you have observations to share? You can email me and know that I will never post anything you send me without your express permission.

This challenge works best when we work with each other to create a supportive community. Please consider putting your thoughts and experiences into words via email (I take paper and post letters too!) or on facebook.

Thank you Helen for sharing your struggles and success!

No comments: